Sunday, October 01, 2006

#19-Web 2.0 Tools

For my discovery, I chose to look at last.fm which won first place for the music category. I love music, so I thought this would be a good one for me to explore. It has a lot of great features. It was extremely easy to navigate. There were many different categories to choose from and many different ways to actually look up music, by artist, song, word, label, etc. I found a couple of more obscure artists that I like aren't streamlined, so I wouldn't be able to actually listen to their music, but it seems that they're continually updating. It also has a feature where you can streamline music yourself when you become a member. You can buy songs or whole CDs if you like. You can also trade CDs with other members for as little as $1. You can create playlists that suit your tastes. You can even look up artists you like, they give you categories that you can choose from, and they'll add artists that are similar to the artists you already like! You should be able to log on to last.fm anywhere there is internet connection which is nice because then the music you like is right at your fingertips, literally. I really enjoyed this exploration and will continue to use it. I think this would be very useful in the library setting for people who want to find music. Whether you just like music, you're teaching music, or you want to learn more about it, this could be an exciting find. I know I could explore this site for hours (as it was, I had to limit my time to just one hour) and probably will end up doing that before long!

No comments: